The City of Chicago candidate filing has begun, and several candidates including Rahm Emmanuel, Carol Moseley Braun, Gery J. Chico and more have filed. There are two 27th Ward candidates that have filed to date as well.
Online PR News – 17-November-2010 – – CHICAGO, ILLINOIS -- Monday, November 15th marked the beginning of candidate filing for the 2011 Municipal General Election. The announcement from Mayor Richard M. Daley caused many to look into joining the race for the top position in the City of Chicago. Even though the candidates have filed they still have a long road ahead before the lottery on December 1st.
Those that plan to run for office have until Monday, November 22nd to file with the Chicago Elections Board. The last day to file objections to the candidate's petitions is Tuesday, November 30th.
After the initial filing, the candidates for the City of Chicago Mayor are:
• Carol Moseley Braun - Most recently she ran for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in 2004.
• Danny K. Davis - Current member of the United States House of Representatives for the 7th Congressional District.
• Gery J. Chico - Member of the Board of Trustees of the City Colleges, and former Chief of Staff for Mayor Daley.
• M. Tricia Lee - A 4th generation Chicagoan that understands what it takes to grow the City of Chicago.
• Miguel del Valle - Current Clerk for the City of Chicago and former State Senator for the 2nd District.
• Rahm Emanuel - Former White House Chief of Staff for President Obama and Senior Adviser to President Bill Clinton.
• Wilfredo De Jesus - Commissioner of the Zoning Board of Appeals and Reverend at the fast-growing New Life Covenant Church.
For more information, visit our 'Candidates for Chicago Mayor' page.
The 27th Ward of Chicago also had two filings for Alderman. The candidates include Tom Courtney and current Alderman Walter Burnett, Jr. Courtney is a graduate of the Michigan State University College of Law (2000). The Chicago-area native has operated a law practice for ten years. Alderman Burnett has held the 27th Ward office since 1995. He currently serves on seven committees with the city council including a vice-Chairman position on the Health Committee. The Campaign for Change plans to review the platform of each candidate to assist residents in the 27th Ward with selecting the best candidate to represent the Ward in the City Council.