Who Needs An Energy Performance Certificate Anyway?

Definitive answers for those who want to know more about an Energy Performance Certificate are delivered by UK energy audit company, including what constitutes a building and what is exempt from certification.

Online PR News – 23-September-2009 – – UK Company National Energy Rating has produced a definitive statement about who needs to provide an Energy Performance Certificate for a building. The information will help individuals and companies stay on the right side of legislation and avoid fines for inadvertently flouting the rules. This is an important factor at a time when the term Greenwash is being bandied about, and the public in general are confused about which 'green' initiatives are a legal requirement.

Greenwash is used to describe certain products and services that are targeting their demographic through claims of being good for the environment. Energy Performance Certificates, which are aimed at increasing the energy efficiency of a building have been labelled by some as a Greenwash initiative, but are in fact an essential document that needs to be handed over when a building has been constructed or modified, sold or leased. There are also situations when the certificate must be produced, such as exchanging written information with a prospective tenant or buyer and when a viewing takes place.

To clarify what constitutes a building Neil Shepherd, Director at the company says "The definition of a building for the purpose of the regulations, are that is must have a roof and walls and use energy to condition the indoor climate e.g. heating, mechanical ventilation, air conditioning or that there is intention such services will be installed. " In the commercial sector however, some buildings are exempt, and therefore do not require an Energy performance Certificate.

These include free-standing buildings or entirely detached units that are under 50sq metres; temporary buildings; places of worship; industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agriculture buildings that do not use heating or air conditioning; and buildings that are due to be demolished by the prospective buyer. For buildings that do qualify, Energy Performance Certificates and their associated recommendation Reports are valid for 10 years, unless a new certificate of the same building is obtained or provided to the seller or landlord.

If a seller or landlord does not provide an Energy Performance Certificate when required, this is classed as a civil offence, which carries a penalty fine of 12.5% of the rateable value of the property (minimum £500, maximum £5000). This is enforced by the Local Authority through its trading standards officers.

To clarify further, National Energy Rating are welcoming enquiries about Energy Performance Certificates, and the first 100 emails to info@nationalenergyrating.co.uk will receive a free National Energy Rating ceramic coffee mug. Alternatively visit www.nationalenergyrating.co.uk or call 0800 121 8761.

visit our website