Taken place from 13th to 17th APRIL coinciding with Easter, Thingyan or New Year Water Festival is the most important celebration in Myanmar.
Online PR News – 18-March-2015 – Hanoi – Thingyan means “change” in Burmese, which is change of old year to new year, old life to new life, old circle to new circle. ”.
This festival lasts four days and the new year will start from fifth day.
WHAT SPECIAL ON THINGYAN
Strolling to Myanmar’s streets on this fabulous occasion, travelers will be immersed in the Burmese culture with series of pulsating activities, stunning spiritual customs along with original religious nuances. Good humor and being-friendly prevail all over the festival accompanying best wishes.
• April 13th – Thingyan Eve – A kyo nei:
People bring alms and traditional offerings to pagodas and monasteries, carry out Buddha statue bathing ceremony with fragrant water.
• April 14th – Thingyan (Start of Water Festival) – A kya nei:
- Welcome Thaya Min God:
After booming of cannon as signal announcing the God’s arrival, the owner of the family lift up pots containing scented flowers and leaves toward the sky as a welcome gesture of homage.
- Water throwing:
People with buckets, pots and cans of water splashes to any passer-by. Powerful water pipes, decorated cars and carts are everywhere to douse people with water. Some groups fight each other by water pistols. In big cities, even fire hoses, hoses and hydrants in gardens are also used. No one escape from drenching including foreigners except monks, elders, sick ones and pregnant women.
- Street dance and more:
Local damsels apply thanaka on face, pin sweet scented yellow padauk flowers on hair and dance on street. The atmosphere is animated with performances of puppets, choirs, farce, plays, dance and music make.
• April 15th – Water Festival – A-kyat nei:
Series of merry activities still continue. Sweet cakes and fresh drinks are served freely for passers-by and merry-makers.
• April 16th – Water Festival – A-tet nei:
- Throwing water to others still keep on but in a more courteous way with an apology, something like “Thagya Min God left his water tube and he will come back to get it.”
- The family’s owner pour out slowly water from pots to the ground, accompanying prayers of luck, good rainfall and good harvest for the new year.
• April 17th – New Year’s Day – Hnit Hsan Ta Yet Nei:
Fish and many other animals are released back to nature with the wish: “I release you once, you release me ten times.”
- Hair-washing ceremory:
Young people wash hair for elders by beans and barks of acacia rugata tree, offer them terracotta pots of water and fragrant soaps.
Young girls attend to the manicure and hair washing ceremony hold for the most senior citizens. Old ladies are supplied paste of sandalwood or thanaka.
WHAT SHOULD NOTICE FOR TRAVEL ON THINGYAN
These useful advises will make your Myanmar travel on Thingyan occasion more wonderful:
• Booking in advance a few weeks or even months all services and flights.
Offices are closed, banks are closed, no public transport as well as private transport, no long-distance bus, no train, air-ticket offices are also closed; BUT domestic airlines are still available.
• Travel by air whenever and wherever possible but stay still a day BEFORE and AFTER the festival time as the transportation services are flocked up by locals.
• Make sure to get your Visa done BEFORE festival time.
• Have meal on hotels, inns or hostel.
No restaurant open but these places still work.
• Prepare plastic bags or waterproof items to protect your electronic devices.
• Bring along plenty of easy-to-dried clothes to alter several times.
• Prepare yourself mind to get involved in the biggest festival in the year and accept for all possible services changes and alternatives.
Are you ready to immerse in the animated atmosphere of Water Festival?
HIT Indochina offers a wide range of special tours to Myanmar that are expected to bring again new experiences along with authentic discoveries for travelers.
Taking the special occasion, HIT Indochina prepare special gifts for customers traveling on Easter – Thingyan holiday. For those ones are just planning, put booking orders within 1st – 30th April will get DISCOUNT up to 10% for Myanmar tours and 5% for combining Myanmar Vietnam with HIT Indochina.
The spiritual culture along with other impressive things on Thingyan are waiting you. Let’s TAKE ACTION NOW.
Via mail: email@example.com