Chamber Music Society of Detroit will be holding three class sessions (October 6-8, 2010) by Steven Rings, Assistant Professor of Music at the University of Chicago. The mini-course will be concluded with a private performance by the Juilliard String Quartet.
Online PR News – 19-August-2010 – – - Event/Dates/Location -
STEVEN RINGS MINI-COURSE: GETTING TO THE CORE OF MUSICAL FORMS
Wednesday through Friday, October 6, 7, 8, 2010
Located on the campus of the Cranbrook Educational Community
39221 Woodward Avenue
- Mini-Course Features Unique in Metro Detroit -
• Three class sessions conducted by STEVEN RINGS, Assistant Professor of Music, University of Chicago, in response to popular demand and unprecedented audience enthusiasm for Steven Rings’ Pre-Concert Talks.
• In-depth discussions of sonata form, highlighting examples from the Chamber Music Society 2010-2011 season repertoire. The minuet & trio, rondo and other musical forms will also be topics of discussion.
• Professor Rings will demonstrate from the piano and illustrate his talks with music scores and images.
• The culminating demonstration on the third evening of the Mini-Course sessions will be A PRIVATE PERFORMANCE BY THE JUILLIARD STRING QUARTET of the Brahms Quartet in A minor, Op. 51, No. 2. This private Friday, October 6 evening performance, open only to Mini-Course attendees, will precede the Juilliard String Quartet’s performance on the Chamber Music Society of Detroit series the following evening.
• The sessions will take place at the historic (1931) Kingswood Auditorium, designed by Eliel Saarinen, on the campus of the Cranbrook Educational Community.
• Participants will have exclusive access to a website that will include recordings of the music discussed as well as additional pedagogical materials.
- Mini-Course Schedule -
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
With support from Helen Rowin in memory of Gerald Rowin
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
With support from Norma Jean and Arthur S. Shufro
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
includes a private performance by the Juilliard String Quartet
8:15 PM Private Dinner with Steven Rings
Bacco Ristorante, private wine room (Cantinella)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9 SERIES CONCERT
Seligman Performing Arts Center
6:45 – 7:30 PM: Steven Rings Pre-Concert Talk
8:00 PM: Performance: Juilliard String Quartet
Works by Haydn, Bartók and Brahms
- Mini-Course Supporters -
• With support from Evola Music
• With appreciation to the Juilliard String Quartet for the contribution of a private performance to benefit the Chamber Music Society of Detroit
• With support from Helen Rowin in memory of Gerald Rowin (Wednesday night session)
• With support from Norma Jean and Arthur S. Shufro (Thursday night session)
- Reservation and Price Information -
Reservations for all three Mini-Course sessions are $75 for Chamber Music Society of Detroit subscribers and $100 for non-subscribers. To request a brochure or place an order, please call 248-855-6070 or visit www.ComeHearCMSD.org.
- Season Pre-Concert Talks with Steven Rings -
Pre-Concert Talks are held from 6:45 – 7:30 PM and are open to ticket-holders at no additional charge.
Saturday, October 9, 2010: Juilliard String Quartet
Saturday, December 4, 2010: Simone Dinnerstein, Piano
Saturday, April 2, 2011: Nash Ensemble of London
Saturday, May 21, 2011: Morgenstern Trio
The Chamber Music Society of Detroit’s 2010-2011 Pre-Concert Talks are sponsored by Fidelity Investments.
- Chamber Music Society of Detroit Concert Tickets -
For more information and to purchase subscriptions and single tickets to Chamber Music Society of Detroit 2010-2011 concerts, please call the Chamber Music Society of Detroit Ticket Service: 248-855-6070 or visit: www.ComeHearCMSD.org.
HOUR Detroit and dbusiness are the media sponsors for the 2010-2011 season.
For further information about the 2010-2011 concert season, please visit the Chamber Music Society of Detroit web site at www.ComeHearCMSD.org.
The Chamber Music Society of Detroit is a non-profit organization committed to presenting the highest quality chamber music performed by musicians of international stature in acoustically outstanding venues. The Chamber Music Society of Detroit is recognized locally, nationally and internationally for the high caliber of its presentations.