On Jurong Island the sump area of an oil-jetty was coated. The main requirements to the coating material are skid-resistance and high chemical resistance.
Online PR News – 28-August-2014 – Roedinghausen / Germany – Jurong Island / Singapore: The man-made Jurong Island is the center of Singapore’s energy and chemicals industry.
Almost 100 companies, among leading groups for oil products and chemicals are located here.
Jurong Island has a modern infrastructure. Beside power stations, refineries and long-distance pipelines there are also fire stations, hospitals and food courts available.
The refineries process 1,3 million barrels of crude oil per day into fuel and special chemicals. Singapore is one of the world’s top 3 oil refining centers, though not having a single drop of crude oil deposits.
The high-end coating system for resistance and safety of the sump area of oil jetty
Project: Sump area of oil jetty, skid-proof and chemical resistant deck coating
Application: EBT Engineering PTE Ltd.
Area: 100 m²
User of facility: Stepan Asia Pte. Ltd.
Media: biodiesel, coco methyl ester
Durable concrete protection with “Proguard CN-1M“
- Direct application of the coating without previous use of a primer
- Excellent chemical resistance (e. g. against „Killer-Solution“ – more than 9.000 hours storage in 98% H2So4 / pure methyl alcohol / 3% NaCl-solution, each 1/3 at 50°C)
- Extreme adhesion to the concrete substrate
- Skid resistance by the sprinkle of quartz sand
Application of the coating
- Preparation of the concrete (e.g. cleaning, grit blasting SA 2,5, dust vacuuming, residual moisture inside the concrete must be less than 6%)
- Application of “Proguard CN-1M” – 1. layer in black color with 500 µm thickness by conventional roller
- The wet, coated area was sprinkled plenteous with clean, dry quartz sand (particle diameter approx. 1 mm)
- On the next day non-adhesive sand was swept off
- Application of “Proguard CN-1M” – 2. layer in grey color with a thickness of 500 µm
- After one more day of curing the area is fully resilient
- Afterwards barrier lines were applied with the Ceramic Polymer street marking colour “Luxit SMP Traffic yellow”