Next Generation Metered and Switched Rack PDUs focus on accessibility and efficiency for effective real-time and remote data centre management
Online PR News – 04-August-2010 – – APC by Schneider Electric, a global leader in integrated critical power and cooling services, today announced the Next Generation Rack Power Distribution (PDU) units. APC’s new Next Generation Metered and Switched Rack PDUs will help IT and facilities managers more effectively and productively manage power capacity and functionality for critical network, server and data centre equipment. APC’s new Rack PDUs solve rack-level power needs while incorporating new intelligent features like real power measurement and environmental monitoring all in a space-efficient zero-U form factor – the most shallow depth form factor in the industry.
“More data centre managers are starting to look at energy as a productive asset, and they need the tools to be able to help maximise the resources at hand. APC’s Next Generation Rack PDUs are one of the tools that can help with energy management across the data centre through real-time monitoring, while saving space,” said Dave Guidette, senior vice president, Enterprise Systems, Services & Software, APC.
APC’s new platform of Rack PDUs consists of 19 new models in the Metered and Switched product families, Metered AP8800 series and Switched AP8900 series. The AP8800 Metered Rack PDU series provides advanced, real-time remote monitoring of connected loads with user-defined alarms to warn of potential circuit overloads before critical IT failures occur, enabling IT managers to proactively monitor and resolve issues. The AP8900 Switched Rack PDU series provides advanced load monitoring combined with remote on/off switching control of individual outlets for power cycling, delayed power sequencing, and outlet use management. All Next Generation Rack PDUs include active power metering and remote alarming with volts, amps, real power (kW), and energy (kWh) measurements. Other features include:
• Active metering capabilities on the new Rack PDU series provides IT managers with full feature network management abilities to access and configure the Rack PDU settings via web, SNMP and telnet, and also enables comprehensive overload monitoring and user defined alarms to warn of potential circuit overloads, helping to prevent accidental power loss to critical equipment.
• Integrated user interactive LCD display interface, replaceable for future upgrades, allows for real-time equipment connectivity & load balancing guidance and provides optional temperature and humidity monitoring with user defined alarms.
• Power cycle outlets and the ability to define groups of outlets by user on one or more Rack PDUs enable quick recovery from locked equipment events. User-defined outlet power-up sequencing also prevents overloads during startup and recovery (Switched Rack PDUs).
• Enhanced security features include remote individual outlet control, which lets IT managers turn off unused outlets to prevent unauthorised use, avoid accidental overloads and control where new equipment is deployed.
• New ultra low profile, space saving, hydraulic-magnetic breakers maximise IT equipment space and provide the strongest over-current protection available for high temperature rack enclosure environments.
• Next Generation Rack PDUs feature locking IEC receptacles and when used with the new locking IEC jumper cords enable the use of an exclusive, easy-to-use space saving cord retention method, eliminating the need for bulky cable management brackets. Output jumper cords are available in multiple lengths including two, four and six-foot increments; and a wide variety of standard input, output and adapter power cords compatible with most IT applications.
The APC Next Generation Metered Rack PDUs are currently available worldwide and new Switched series Rack PDUs will be available Q3 2010. For more information about APC’s Rack PDU product line, visit www.apc.com/gb or call 0800 2799254.
About APC by Schneider Electric
APC by Schneider Electric, a global leader in critical power and cooling services, provides industry leading product, software and systems for home, office, data center and factory floor applications. Through its unparalleled commitment to innovation, APC provides pioneering, energy efficient solutions for critical technology and industrial applications that are well planned, flawlessly installed and maintained throughout their lifecycle. APC solutions include uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), precision cooling units, racks, physical security and design and management software, including APC's InfraStruxure® architecture, the industry’s most comprehensive integrated power, cooling, and management solution.
As a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, Schneider Electric offers integrated solutions across multiple market segments, including leadership positions in energy and infrastructure, industrial processes, building automation, and data centres/networks, as well as a broad presence in residential applications. Focused on making energy safe, reliable, and efficient, the company's 100,000+ employees achieved sales of more than 15.8 billion euros in 2009, through an active commitment to help individuals and organisations “Make the most of their energy”.
All trademarks are the property of their owners.