Africa Fashion Week has moved its dates to September 4th-6th to showcase a more diverse roster of Africa's top designers during New York Fashion Week.
Online PR News – 26-August-2014 – New York, NY – The fashion industry has been under a microscope. Authors such as Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond and Poundo Gomis have written about the under-representation of racially diverse models in runway shows.
Last September, former model Bethann Hardison's company, Diversity Coalition, published an open letter to fashion councils in New York, London, Milan and Paris that called to task designers who used very few or no models of color in their fashion shows.
The fifth annual Africa Fashion Week has moved its dates to September 4th-6th from July to showcase a more diverse roster of Africa's top designers during New York Fashion Week, September 4-11th, 2014. The schedule of this year’s production is as follows:
● Day.01 - Thursday 6PM EDT | Sept. 4th 2014 | United Nations Foundation | 801 2nd Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10017 (Master Class Off the Runway)
● Day.02- Friday 7PM EDT | September 5th 2014 | Vogt Gallery | 526 W 26TH Street Suite 205 New York, NY 10001 (Presentation, Pop Up Shop, Press Dinner)
● Day.03 - Saturday 7PM EDT | September 6th 2014| Metropolitan Pavilion (The Gallery) | 125 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011 (Runway Show)
"To gain the necessary that is necessary for participating designers, we had to move the dates to coincide with New York Fashion Week," said Adiat Disu, founder of Africa Fashion Week. "All the participating designers are either from Africa or contributing to communities there while representing New York. " Adiat Disu
The runway show will include top designers throughout Africa. The designers are:
● Anaba Wisdom Chidiebube of Weiz Dhurm Franklyn | Nigeria
● Eki Orleans | Nigeria/Germany
● Gavin Rajah | South Africa
Rajah will also be speaking at the UN on Thursday, Sept. 4 and showcasing at the Runway Show on Saturday, Sept. 6.
● Hilda Mauya of Dahil Republic of Couture Fashion House | Kenya
● Igwedinma Rodney Emeka of McMeka | Nigeria
● Issa by Issa | Nigeria
● Khadijah Mouh of Morocco Caftan New York | Morocco
● Sally Karago of Mcensal Ltd | Kenya
Disu desires to bring luxury brands from some of Africa's top designers to showcase in New York.
New York Fashion Week showcases top designers like David Tlale and Marc Jacobs, both of whom have taken inspiration from African cultures and adapted it to the tastes of the market.
For more information: www.Africafashionweek.com
Official sponsors of Africa Fashion Week are Arik Air, Africa.com and Spice TV.
The premier communications and branding firm, leading in public relations and promotions in New York for African and Global business leaders in multiple industry segments; from entertainment to fashion, politics, media, and government sectors. Known as a fully integrated communications and brand strategy company, based in New York.