Minister for Education Mr. Heng Swee Keat presented the coveted awards at the opening ceremony of the National Engineers Day 2014
Online PR News – 25-July-2014 – Singapore – The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES) celebrated excellence in local engineering today, honouring 10 brilliant teams of engineers with the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2014 at the Official Opening Ceremony of the National Engineers Day (NED) 2014 at NUS University Town. Mr. Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Education, the Guest-of-Honour of the event, presented the awards to the winning teams.
Displaying exceptional ingenuity in planning and solving design problems and pioneering use of materials and methods to advance quality of life, these projects endured a rigorous round of judging by industry and academic experts before emerging from 27 submissions to become ultimate winners of this year’s awards.
“It is the work of innovative and talented engineers like the winners of the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2014 that enables trailblazing advances in engineering and transformation of quality of life. Not only have they addressed pressing challenges of today, but they have also created new possibilities for the future,” said Er. Chong Kee Sen, President, IES. “With so many remarkable entries spanning diverse engineering fields this year, the competition was extremely intense and it is a significant achievement to be honoured today. IES would like to warmly congratulate all winners and recognise all those who took part for their passion and accomplishments. We hope that our awards will also inspire the young generation to become engineers and make contributions of their own to our world.”
Falling in four awards categories, the winning projects are:
Applied Research and Development
• Flow-Driven Energy Harvester Solution to Tap Low Frequency Vibrations as Infinite Power Sources for Miniature Electronic Devices by the Institute of Microelectronics (IME), the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
• High-Speed, Debris-Free Dicing of Silicon Wafers Using Laser-Induced Thermal Cracking Technology by the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech), A*STAR
• Metamaterial Ultra-Low-Profile Broadband Antennas by the National University of Singapore (NUS); the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), A*STAR; and DSO National Laboratories
• SAF Live-Firing Ranges – Land Savings and Advanced Capabilities Through Technology by the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA)
• Transforming Landfill Site to Usable Industrial Land by JTC Corporation (JTC)
• The Singapore Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal by the Singapore LNG Corporation (SLNG)
• Innovation in Green Chemistry - Water Based Pore Blocker for Precious Metal Saving & Coating Performance Enhancement by the Singapore Polytechnic
• Snap2Tell Platform by the Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R), A*STAR
• WhiteRange Radio by the Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R), A*STAR
IES Young Creators
• Seat Vacancy Detector System (SVDS) for Occupancy Monitoring and Energy Saving in Building Automation by NUS
Emerging as the biggest winner for the second consecutive year, A*STAR is behind five out of the 10 winning innovations, including a joint project with NUS and DSO National Laboratories.
Dr. Tan Geok Leng, Executive Director of A*STAR’s Science and Engineering Research Council said, “This is the second consecutive year that A*STAR has won the most number of awards in the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards. Our achievement in garnering five awards is a recognition of our researchers’ excellent deep research efforts in the science and engineering fields, further creating positive impacts to the industry and society. One of the awards won is a joint honour that we share with our academic partner, and is a representation of the importance of collaborations in fostering the highest quality of research. Winning these awards will further propel A*STAR to drive innovation excellence that can contribute to Singapore as an innovation hub.”
IES will be choosing the top project/s out of the 10 winning projects to receive the ASEAN Outstanding Engineering Achievement Award, a regional tribute for engineering professionals and organisations.
A key highlight of NED 2014, the awards ceremony dovetails with NED’s aim of fascinating students with the power of engineering in changing lives and motivate them to take engineering up as a course of study and a career.
Annex A - IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2014 – Citations of Winning Projects
- END –
The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES)
About The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES)
The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES) was formally established in July 1966 as the national society of engineers in Singapore. IES is the premier engineering institution in Singapore and is called upon by the Government to provide feedback on professional engineering matters.
IES is well represented among the faculty members of the major engineering institutions of higher learning in Singapore. Through close collaboration with the local universities and polytechnics, IES organises courses, seminars and talks for engineers and IES members to advance the continuous development of engineers.
The Institution maintains close links with professional organisations of engineers regionally and throughout the world. These include organisations in Australia, China, Japan, United Kingdom and the United States. The Institution also represents Singapore in the ASEAN Federation of Engineering Organizations (AFEO) and the Federation of Engineering Institutions of Asia and the Pacific (FEIAP) in promoting goodwill, fellowship and exchange of knowledge among all engineers in ASEAN and the Asia-Pacific region.
Through its Engineering Accreditation Board (EAB), IES obtained full signatory status in the Washington Accord (WA) in June 2006. The entry grants IES the authority to represent Singapore, the first country within the ASEAN region which has obtained full signatory status in the WA, to vet education systems under the WA mutual recognition framework.
- End -
The Institution of Engineers, Singapore
DID : (65) 6461 1229
Mobile: (65) 9747 9365
Email : email@example.com
The Right Spin Public Relations
DID : (65) 6325 5929
Mobile: (65) 9369 9598