New mandatory national standard for high visibility clothing – GB 20653-2020 – issued in China.
Online PR News – 14-November-2020 – Geneva, Switzerland – China has updated its mandatory national standard for high visibility protective clothing – GB 20653-2020.
The standard covers professional use high visibility clothing designed using fluorescent and retroreflective materials. The intention of the clothing it to provide conspicuous warning of the worker in an environment where visibility is poor.
GB 20653-2020 contains provisions relating to classes and design, and the performance of:
• Background materials
• Non-fluorescent and combined materials
• Retroreflective and combined materials
Among the main technical changes are:
• Some terms and definitions
• Requirement for measuring an area of high visibility warning clothing and class rating
• Chemical properties requirements and test methods for background and non-fluorescent materials
• Normative Annex D – “positioning of bands of retroreflective material for industrial wash test”
• Informative Annex F – “environment risk level and guidelines for the design of high visibility garments”
• Standard name is updated from ‘High visibility warning clothing for professional use’ to ‘Protective clothing—High visibility warning clothing for professional use’
• Design requirements for warning clothing
• Ergonomic requirements for warning clothing
• Colorfastness requirements for perspiration on background and non-fluorescent materials
• Colorfastness requirements – domestic and commercial laundering, dry-cleaning, bleaching (hypochlorite), hot pressing
• Dimensional change requirements for background and non-fluorescent materials + test method
• Mechanical properties requirements for background and non-fluorescent materials
• Retroreflective performance requirements for separate performance retroreflective materials and cancelled three classes
• Test methods of dimensional change after washing or dry-cleaning
• Graphical symbol of high visibility warning clothing and the deletion of the markings (indicating Performance Class) of the graphical symbol in GB 20653-2006
Issued by the Standardization Administration of China, the new standard was included in China’s No. 18 announcement of newly approved national standards for 2020. It replaces the version iteration – GB 20653-2006 – and will come into effect on August 1, 2021.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in testing of apparel, footwear and home textiles. Their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services. [http://www.sgs.com/softlines]
For further information contact:
Consumer and Retail — Softlines
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.