This report, aims to identify and analyze silicon photonic products that use silicon photonics technology.
Online PR News – 24-August-2009 – – Report description
Increasing need of more sophisticated means of communication is driving the demand for products and devices with high-speed and large bandwidth in data transfer along with low cost and high efficiency. However, the adoption of optical fibers and other optoelectronic components in the high end devices and applications involved high cost. This fueled the search for a cheaper base material and ended with silicon that began to be used for photonic applications. The advances in silicon electronics and photonics gave rise to the concept of silicon photonics.
When compared with conventional electronics, silicon photonics provide 90% of its efficiency with one-third of power consumption, at one-tenth of the cost and no requirement of additional manufacturing technology. This makes it attractive for customers and lucrative for manufacturers.
Technological advancements, low power consumptions, high bandwidth, high speed, low cost, large application areas, and greener outlook are the main factors that are driving the demand of silicon photonics market. However, high R&D cost, integration and packaging issues and limited commercialization are restraining the growth of the market. The reduction in the cost of devices, performance improvement and development of new products will increase the market size of silicon photonics and create plenty of opportunities for early entrants into this market.
Scope of the report
This report, aims to identify and analyze silicon photonic products that use silicon photonics technology. The report has segmented silicon photonics market as follows:
Silicon photonics product market
Silicon waveguides, silicon modulators, silicon interconnects, wavelength division multiplexer filters, silicon LED and silicon photo detector.
Silicon photonic device market
Silicon optical transceivers, silicon optical switches, silicon optical ic, silicon photovoltaic cells, silicon photovoltaic cells and emerging products such as silicon lasers and silicon photonic amplifiers.
Silicon photonics applications market
telecommunication and data transfer, information processing, sensing, metrology, displays, consumer electronics, others
Silicon photonics technology market
Silicon submount technology, passive waveguide technology, passive optical alignment
Each section will provide market data, market drivers, trends and opportunities, top-selling products, key players, and competitive outlook. This report will also provide more than 50 market tables for various geographic regions covering the sub-segments and micro-markets. In addition, the report also provides 20 company profiles for each of its sub-segments.
What makes our reports unique?
- We provide the longest market segmentation chain in this industry- not many reports provide market breakdown upto level 5.
- Each report is about 250 pages with 100+ market data tables, 40 competitive company profiles, analysis of 300 patents and a minimum of 50 micro markets, which are collectively exhaustive and mutually exclusive.
- No single report by any other publisher provides market data for all the segments viz products, services, applications, ingredients, technology, and stakeholders in a single report for all the four geographies - US, Europe, APAC, RoW.
- We provide 10% customization. Normally it is seen that clients do not find specific market intelligence that they are looking for. Our customization will ensure that you necessarily get the market intelligence you are looking for and we get a loyal customer.
- 15 pages of high level analysis including benchmarking strategies, best practices and the market’s cash cows (BCG matrix). We conduct detailed market positioning, product positioning and competitive positioning. Entry strategies, gaps and opportunities are identified for all the stakeholders.
- Comprehensive market analysis for the following sectors: Pharmaceuticals, medical devices, biotechnology, semiconductor and electronics, energy and power supplies, food and beverages, chemicals, advanced materials, industrial automation, and telecom and it. we also analyze retailers and super-retailers, technology providers, and research and development (R&D) companies.
Key questions answered
- Which are the high-growth segments/cash cows and how is the market segmented in terms of applications, products, services, ingredients, technologies, and stakeholders?
- What are market estimates and forecasts; which markets are doing well and which are not?
- Where are the gaps and opportunities; what is driving the market?
- Which are the key playing fields? Which are the winning edge imperatives?
- How is the competitive outlook; who are the main players in each of the segments; what are the key selling products; what are their strategic directives, operational strengths and product pipelines? Who is doing what?
Powerful Research and analysis
The analysts working with MarketsandMarkets come from renowned publishers and market research firms, globally, adding their expertise and domain understanding. We get the facts from over 22,000 news and information sources, a huge database of key industry participants and draw on our relationships with more than 900 market research companies across the world. We, at MarketsandMarkets, are inspired to help our clients grow by providing qualitative business insights with our huge market intelligence repository.
Global Silicon Photonics Market: Revolutionizing Optoelectronics World
Increasing need of more sophisticated means of communication is driving the demand for products and devices with high-speed and large bandwidth in data transfer along with low cost and high efficiency. However, the adoption of optical fibers and other optoelectronic components in the high end devices and applications involved high cost. This fueled the search for a cheaper base material and ended with silicon that began to be used for photonic applications. The advances in silicon electronics and photonics gave rise to the concept of silicon photonics. When compared with conventional electronics, silicon photonics provide 90% of its efficiency with one-third of power consumption, at one-tenth of the cost and no requirement of additional manufacturing technology. This makes it attractive for customers and lucrative for manufacturers.
In 2008, the market size of global silicon photonics market was at $23.21 million that is expected to grow exponentially at a CAGR of 105.3% from 2009 to 2014 due to new products and applications that are to be commercialized in the next five years. The demand for silicon photonics technology is already created in the market and consumers are awaiting commercialization of products. The silicon photonics market is segmented into silicon waveguides, silicon modulators, silicon optical interconnects wavelength division multiplexer filters, silicon LED and silicon photo detector.
With high fragmentation and intense competition in the microelectronics industry manufacturers of chips and integrated circuits are working to improve the quality and reduce the prices of their products. Therefore, the expensive ingredients and large R&D investments required for silicon photonics act as a major restraint for the growth of this market. However, the evolution of the silicon photonics market into a mainstream market is expected to overcome all these restraints.
Early commercialization of products and high absorption rate of electronic products have made U.S. the dominant market in 2009 with a 56% share of the global silicon photonics product market. Increased research and developments in the U.S. companies have also helped in the domination of the silicon photonics market. Europe is estimated to be the second largest with 26% share of the market.
Indicates, in 2009, wavelength division multiplex filters are expected to dominate the market with 31% share followed by photo detector with 20% share. The high market share of wavelength division multiplex filters is mainly due to its early commercialization.
The U.S has highest number of patents with 66% contribution. Out of 89 registered patents, 59 patents have been registered in U.S. This is mainly due to the extensive R&D and existence of major silicon photonics players such as Luxtera, Kotura etc. in the U.S. market.
The key players in the silicon photonics market include Intel, IBM Corp., Luxtera, Lightwire, Kotura, Sun Microsystems, etc.
Our analysis indicates that companies taking the first mover advantage by quick commercialization with extensive R & D will have an edge over their competitors. Agreements and collaborations as well as new product launches are some of the most popular strategies adopted by market players to stay ahead of the competition and to expand into new geographies.
For more information, please visit :
Or email us at email@example.com or call +919272852585