Chinaâ€™s GB/T 29862-2013 on identification of fiber content in textiles has been published.
Online PR News – 30-May-2014 – 29.05.2014 – On 12 November 2013, Chinaâ€™s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) and the National Standardization Management Committee published the No. 22 Standard Notice of 2013.
This notice stated that the newly published national standard GB/T 29862-2013 Textiles â€“ Identification of Fiber Content will become effective on 1 May 2014. This standard is a revision and an update of the FZ/T 01053-2007 Textiles â€“ Identification of Fiber Content.
A comparison table between FZ/T01053-2007 and GB/T29862-2013 is summarized within the latest SafeGuardS bulletin (http://newsletter.sgs.com/eNewsletterPro/uploadedimages/000006/sgs-safeguards-09614-chinas-gbt-29862-2013-textiles-fibre-content-a4-en-14.pdf).
Information on Textile Fiber Content Labeling
Annex B of FZ/T 01053-2007 was the translation of ISO 2076:1999 Textiles â€“ Synthetic Fiber. In GB/T 29862-2013. The new standard has deleted the reference to Annex B of FX/T 01053-2007 changes have been made to the labeling examples of other fibers or materials. The detailed information is as follows:
- For composite fibers including 2 or more types of polymer components, use the following format and the names specified in GB/T 4146.1 to label the fiber name. List each component name + composite fiber. Different components are separated by â€˜/â€™. Example:
* 60% cotton;
* 40% polyester/nylon composite fiber.
- For fiber which is modified by adding chemicals (component) to change the original fiber property labeling should include the name of the added component + modified + the name of the original fiber. Example: 100% protein modified polyvinyl alcohol fiber.
- For the fiber which is composed of between 50% to 80% by mass of linear acrylic macromolecule in the molecule chain, it should be labeled as â€˜modacrylicâ€™.
- For the fiber which is composed of 2 or more types of linear macromolecules of different chemical properties (the mass of each one is no more than 85%), it can be labeled as elastomultiester or elasterell-p, as long as the materials contain at least 85% of ester functional group and the material has the ability to return to the original length after multiple elongation by 50%.
- For other chemical fibers without a unified name, the fiber can be labeled as â€˜new type XX fiberâ€™. If necessary, the relevant parties are required to provide methods of proof or verification for the said fiber.
- For specialty animal fiber or hair, if a mature identification method is not yet available, it can be labeled as â€˜other special animal hairâ€™.
- For textile products using other materials, if necessary, the labeling name is suggested as:
* Paper yarn: if it is cellulose material, it can be labeled as â€˜cellulose materialâ€™;
* Plant material: the name of the material can be directly labeled, e.g. corn bran, straw; or it can be labeled as â€˜plant materialâ€™;
* Bird feather: the name of the material can be directly labeled, e.g. peacock feather, ostrich hair or it can be labeled as â€˜bird featherâ€™;
* Film: it can be labeled as â€˜film excludedâ€™; or the film can be labeled based on its nature, e.g. â€˜polyethylene film excludedâ€™;
* Gold-silver thread, shining thread: if metal coating cannot be confirmed, it is labeled based on its material, e.g. â€˜shinning fiber: polyester film fiberâ€™;
* Leather and fur: the name should be labeled according to the applicable standard.
About SGS Softlines Services
SGS Global Softlines has an extensive network of over 40 laboratories worldwide, with a strong team of committed professionals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds. The companyâ€™s internationally accredited state-of-the-art testing laboratories offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for materials (http://www.sgs.com/en/Consumer-Goods-Retail/Softlines-and-Accessories/Textile-and-Clothing/Testing/Material-Testing.aspx ), components and finished products. SGS can help your company ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide.
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
Senior Manager, Global Softlines Development Office
SGS Hong Kong
t: +852 2765 3695
SGS is the worldâ€™s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.