Atlanta, Georgia, April 28th 2010 — Dr. Bernee Dunson DDS, Atlanta dental implant expert, is now using one of the most significant advances in dental medicine, a simple DNA test using saliva, to determine the specific type and quantity of disease-causing bacteria in his patients’ mouths!
Online PR News – 25-June-2010 – – Atlanta, Georgia, April 28th 2010 — Dr. Bernee Dunson DDS, Atlanta dental implant expert, is now using one of the most significant advances in dental medicine, a simple DNA test using saliva, to determine the specific type and quantity of disease-causing bacteria in his patients’ mouths! According to the American Dental Association, an estimated 75% of all Americans over the age of 35 have some form of periodontal disease(1) and research conducted during the past 10 years has provided insight into the Perio / Systemic Connection and the link between chronic periodontal infections and heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and some forms of cancer.(2,3). The detection and monitoring of these disease-causing bacteria is critical to treatment success.
These exciting new tests are for anyone with or without symptoms of gingivitis or periodontal disease. Symptoms may include bleeding gums, bad breath, red or inflamed gums, or loss of bone around your teeth. Other indications for this test are pretreatment clearance for extensive dental procedures and in some cases, surgical clearance (such as heart surgery or joint replacements). Both tests are performed by swishing a small amount of sterile saline throughout the mouth and for 30 seconds. The saliva sample is then sent to OralDNA Labs(TM), Inc. (www.OralDNA.com) for processing.
The MyPerioPath(sm) lab report identifies harmful bacteria associated with gum infections and helps Dr. Dunson develop a more effective treatment plan. Through this state-of-the-art technology, Dr. Dunson is able to treat the source of the infection and not just the symptoms. The goal of therapy then becomes to reduce the overall bacterial risk for disease progression. As with most diseases, earlier and more targeted treatment can help stop periodontal disease before irreversible damage occurs.
In addition to this bacterial DNA test, Dr. Dunson also offers a genetic susceptibility test, called MyPerioID(sm) PST® that will reveal if your genetic makeup puts you at greater risk for developing gum tissue infections. This test gives better insight into how an individual’s immune system will respond to the presence of harmful bacteria further enabling Dr. Dunson to optimize therapy.
About Dr. Dunson
Memberships ~ Associations ~ Credentials
• American Board of Oral Implantology, Diplomate 2011 Board Examiner
• American Academy of Implant Dentistry, Fellow Admissions and Credentials Committee
• American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
• Academy of General Dentistry
• 1995’s certification in IV and Oral Conscious Sedation from
Miami Valley Medical College in Dayton, Ohio ranks Dunson as a select
few of Georgia’s certified restorative dentists.
• In 1997, Dr. Dunson acquired a three-year Oral Implantology Residency
Graduate Certificate from Loma Linda University (LLU) in California.
• In 2001, Dr. Dunson was honored as an Associate Fellow of the
American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID).
• In October 2008, Dunson was one of nine dentists nationwide awarded
and honored as a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry.
• In November 2009, Dunson was one of eleven members to gain
distinction of Fellow of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry
(AAID). The Fellowship Status is the highest credential distinction
bestowed by the AAID, the first professional dental implant organization.
• Dr. Dunson trains and lectures with contemporary, world-renowned
dentists such as Dr. Frank Spears, Dr. Jimmy Eubanks, Dr. Hilt Tatum,
Dr. Richard Borgner and others, and has completed coursework at highly
regarded institutions such as the Seattle Institute for Advanced Dental
Education, the Louisiana Academy of Continuing Dental Education,
and the Implant Reconstruction Center of St. Petersburg. He is
regularly published in dental journals and lectures nationwide.
• July 2009, Dr. Dunson launched Implant Dentistry of Georgia Institute
with twelve dentists throughout the country and Puerto Rico in attendance.
Dunson and Dr. Richard Borgner’s Implant 101 two-day course entails
lectures, live surgery/implant placement and hands-on practicum.
1. Genco R, Offenbacher S, Beck J. Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease: epidemiology and possible mechanisms. JADA 2002;133(Suppl.):14S-22S.
2. Friedewald VE, Kornman KS, Beck JD, et al. The American Journal of Cardiology and Journal of Periodontology editors’ consensus: periodontitis and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. J Periodontol 2009;80:1021-1032.
3. Van Dyke TE. The management of inflammation in periodontal disease. J Periodontol 2008;79:1601-1608.
1100 Peachtree St. Suite 680
Atlanta, GA 30309