The awards presentation, to be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Exhibition Hall, includes winners in eight Open Server and nine Software Defined Networking categories as well as one special Innovation achievement--all voted on by IT professionals in 2013.
Online PR News – 22-October-2013 – San Diego, CA – "Industry-standard hardware combined with open-source software meets the challenges of big data, cloud services, real-time analysis, mega-websites, and multimedia", said Dr. Lance Leventhal, chairperson for Open Server Summit 2013. "The IT Brand Pulse open server, storage and networking leader surveys identify for the first time those whom IT professionals and managers see as the top companies."
The list of companies that stand out in the minds of IT professionals for Open Compute innovation in 2013 includes:
• Cisco - In the first ever SDN brand leader survey, IT pros selected networking giant Cisco as the innovation leader in five of nine product categories: SDN Platform, SDN Controller, SDN Virtual Switch, SDN (physical) Switch, and SDN ASIC.
• F5 - The application delivery networking leader was chosen as the innovation leader for a Layer 4-7 SDN Services Platform, against stiff competition that included Citrix and Embrane.
• Accedian Networks - A start-up wins the innovation award for SDN Orchestration Software.
• VMware - The future network virtualization giant led the way as the innovation leader for both VXLAN Gateways, and for Virtual Desktops (VDI).
• Big Switch - The SDN pioneer, with its Big Tap, was voted as the innovation leader for SDN Monitoring.
• HP - IT professionals chose this server market share leader as the innovation leader in three open server categories: Microservers, Industry Standard Servers, and Open Compute Project Servers.
• Fusion-io - Breaking new ground in PCIe-based flash memory solutions (and major supplier to Facebook), it was named as the innovation leader for open compute storage.
• Intel - The dominant supplier of processors for traditional enterprise servers was selected as the innovation leader for processors used in open compute servers.
• Seagate - The storage giant was voted by IT pros as the innovation leader in Hard Disk Drives (HDDs).
• Amazon Web Services - The on-line retailer, turned disruptive IT infrastructure provider, came out on top as the innovation leader for Cloud Operating Platform.
The 2013 Open Compute Brand Leader Survey, conducted in September/October 2013, asked respondents which vendors they perceived as the leader in 17 Open Compute product categories: SDN Platform, SDN Orchestration Software, SDN Controller, SDN Virtual Switch, SDN Switch, Layer 4-7 SDN Services Platform, VXLAN Gateway, SDN ASICs, SDN Monitoring, Microserver, Industry Standard Server, Open Compute Project Server, Open Compute Project Server Processor, Enterprise Hard Disk Drive (HDD), Open Compute Project Storage, Desktop Virtualization (VDI) and Cloud Operating Platform.
For each category, respondents chose the brand leader in Market, Price, Performance, Reliability, Service & Support, and Innovation. (The awards ceremony at Open Server/Open Storage Summit will honor only the leaders in the Innovation categories).
About the Brand Leader Awards
IT Brand Pulse awards are the symbols for brand leadership because they are voted on by IT pros (not vendor-sponsored). Our surveys are designed to measure the pulse of brand leadership in specific product categories. IT professionals respond to one survey covering various products. Within each product category, respondents choose the overall market leader, as well as the leader in price, performance, reliability, service and support, and innovation.
Respondents to the survey included (select list): AT&T - Server Administrator/Architect; Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) - Storage Administrator/Architect; Boeing - Data Center Manager; Booz Allen Hamilton - Network Security Architect; CalPERS, State of CA - Network Administrator/Architect; Caterpillar - Server Administrator/Architect; Citigroup - Network Administrator/Architect; City of Los Angeles - IT Manager/Director; Delta Airlines - Server Administrator/Architect; Duke University - IT Manager/Director; EarthLink - Server Administrator/Architect; Environmental Protection Agency - Network Administrator/Architect; ExxonMobil - Network Administrator/Architect; Fermilab - Network Administrator/Architect; Ford Motor Company - Network Administrator/Architect; GE - IT Manager/Director; General Dynamics - Network Administrator/Architect; General Motors - Server Administrator/Architect; Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab - IT Manager/Director; JP Morgan - IT Manager/Director; Lockheed Martin - IT Manager/Director; Los Alamos National Lab (LANL) - Network Administrator/Architect; Lowe's - Storage Administrator/Architect; Mattel Inc.- IT Manager/Director; Morgan Stanley - Network Administrator/Architect; NASA - IT Manager/Director; National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA) - Network Administrator/Architect; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - IT Manager/Director; Northrop Grumman - Network Administrator/Architect; Oppenheimer - Executive/Management; PepsiCo - Storage Administrator/Architect; Porsche Cars North America - Network Administrator/Architect; REI - Server Administrator/Architect; Sandia National Labs - Network Administrator/Architect; Shell - Storage Administrator/Architect; Social Security Administration (SSA) - Server Administrator/Architect; Stanford University - Network Administrator/Architect; Staples - Network Administrator/Architect; Target - IT Manager/Director; The University of Chicago - Server Administrator/Architect; ThomsonReuters -Server Administrator/Architect; T-Mobile - Data Center Manager; Transamerica - Storage Administrator/Architect; UBS - Executive/Management; UCLA - IT Manager/Director; United Airlines - Network Administrator/Architect; Universal Parks and Resort - IT Manager/Director; University Of Michigan- Data Center Manager; University of Michigan Medical School - IT Manager/Director; University of Notre Dame - Storage Administrator/Architect; USC - Network Administrator/Architect; Verizon - Network Administrator/Architect; Yale University - IT Manager/Director...among many others...
About IT Brand Pulse
IT Brand Pulse is a trusted source of data and analysis about IT infrastructure, including servers, storage and networking.
• IT Brand Pulse Labs - Test reports and product validation from hands-on testing.
• End User, Channel and OEM Research – Brand Leader, Technology, Product, and Customer Satisfaction surveys, as well as focus groups and custom research.
• Product Databases - Quarterly report for selected product categories with a database of commercially-available products and their attributes.
• Market Shares and Forecasts - Quarterly reports with unit shipments, revenue, vendor market share, and forecast.
• Industry Analysis - IT Brand Pulse analysts publish reports and contribute weekly to leading industry publications including InfoStor, Network Computing, Seeking Alpha, Virtual Strategy Magazine and Zacks.com.