Coronation Street Storyline Brings Home The Dangers of DIY Work On Gas Boilers
03/14/2013

Coronation Street’s dramatic New Year’s Eve episode and subsequent plot line highlighted the dangers of DIY gas work, according to BSW Building Services Ltd, the South-East’s leading central heating expert.

Online PR News – 14-March-2013 – Scaynes Hill – Coronation Street’s dramatic New Year’s Eve episode and subsequent plot line highlighted the dangers of DIY gas work, according to BSW Building Services Ltd, the South-East’s leading central heating expert.

The series showcased a dramatic carbon monoxide storyline which also revealed the secret affair between Fiz Brown and Tyrone. Fiz was left fighting for her life after unqualified Tyrone attempted to fix her boiler only for it to leak potentially deadly carbon monoxide gas into her home. While Fiz was in hospital Tyrone had to deal with the repercussions of having nearly killed his lover.

ITV has said it was one of their biggest and most important storylines in a very long time and they consulted with the Gas Safe Register for expert advice on this controversial plot development. In a bid to raise awareness of the dangers of unqualified boiler work, the drama could have seen Tyrone facing the very real possibility of prosecution for unlawfully trying to fix an appliance without being competent to do so.

Charlie Belliere, marketing manager for Scaynes Hill based BSW Building Services comments: “Research undertaken by the gas safety watchdog, the Gas Safe Register, has revealed that one in three people say they would attempt to fit or repair a gas appliances themselves in order to save money.” This Coronation Street storyline showed that while DIY gas work may save money it is illegal and carries a huge risk.

We cannot advise strongly enough that our customers and property owners across the South East never attempt any work on gas appliances. Unqualified attempts to install repair or move appliances such as a gas boiler or cooker can have deadly consequences. Unsafe gas work can lead to gas leaks fires explosions and exposure to carbon monoxide – the silent killer.

Charlie Belliere continues: “We cannot advise strongly enough that our customers and property owners across the South East never attempt any work on gas appliances. Unqualified attempts to install, repair or move appliances such as a gas boiler or cooker can have deadly consequences. Unsafe gas work can lead to gas leaks, fires, explosions and exposure to carbon monoxide – the silent killer.”

“Anyone undertaking even minor work on gas appliances who is not Gas Safe Registered will almost certainly be breaking the law, so our advice to local property owners is don’t put lives at risk – always use a Gas Safe Registered engineer”, asserts Mr Belliere.

When thinking about having work done on a boiler, cooker or any other gas appliance there are three key points to bear in mind:

• Engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. Any engineer who intends to do any work on someone’s gas appliances should have an up to date Gas Safe ID card which they always carry with them. If they cannot show their Gas Safe registration card it is highly recommended not to allow them to do any work and if they have already done work, it should be checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer who will carry out a risk assessment and rectify any faulty work they find.

• Boilers, cookers, ovens and hobs should be frequently checked for safety. All gas appliances should be checked on a regular basis and certified as safe. Even just moving a gas appliance can damage pipework which may then leak gas or carbon monoxide into the property, therefore it is important to check these appliances at regular intervals. Regular servicing and certified safety checks improve safety.

• The importance of a working carbon monoxide alarm. Most homes have a smoke and fire alarm but not so many have a carbon monoxide alarm. A home with gas appliances fits one as near as possible to any potential source of carbon monoxide in order to be alerted the moment this deadly gas appears. Should the alarm go off, it is important to turn off any sources of carbon monoxide, open all doors and windows, evacuate the property and call out a registered Gas Safe engineer. Once they have identified and repaired any faults it will be safe to start using the appliances again.

Established by John Belliere in 1962, BSW Building Services Ltd remains a family run business focussed on delivering high quality work and expertise at competitive prices.

Based in Scaynes Hill, just outside Haywards Heath, BSW’s expert team of over 100 employees specialises in central heating installation (http://www.bsw-bs.co.uk/services/central-heating), service and maintenance, plus renewable energy solutions and asbestos treatment (http://www.bsw-bs.co.uk/services/asbestos) throughout the South-East of England.

BSW is approved by Gas Safe, OFTEC (oil), NICEIC (electrics) and HETAS (wood burning appliances). It is also accredited by the Energy Savings Trust and Micro Generation Certification Scheme (renewable energy systems) and is an active member of the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme.

Further information on BSW’s full range of services can be found at www.bsw-bs.co.uk or by calling 01444 831 138.

visit our website