The “Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food” program Web site focused on supporting small and midsize farmers across the country.
Online PR News – 10-April-2010 – – The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) launched the “Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food” program Web site focused on supporting small and midsize farmers across the country and their use of sustainable agriculture methods. Family farmers manage the vast majority of America’s farms. In fact, less than 1 percent of farms and ranches in the United States are owned by non-family corporations. The other 99 percent of farms you see while driving the countryside belong to individuals, family partnerships or family corporations.
The USDA program focuses on connecting consumers to farmers. Every farmer goes to work on their farm providing food for someone. In fact, the average U.S. farmer raises enough food to feed 144 other people. To put the efficiencies of modern farming in perspective, in 1940 each farmer only fed 19 people!
So, in a sense, the next time you go to a local deli for a sandwich you’re also paying a visit to a farmer. USDA understands this and has programs to strengthen farm communities through the “Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food” program. These services to farmers include community outreach, risk-management education and education on new technology.
The government can’t support U.S. farmers alone, though. No matter how far away from the farm you may be, you still have a “local” farmer feeding you, so get to know your farmer because everyone has a huge stake in supporting American sustainable agriculture methods.
About the United Soybean Board
The United Soybean Board (USB) represents a group of volunteer farmer-leaders administering a U.S. soy research and promotion program known most commonly as the “soybean checkoff.” Through the soybean checkoff, U.S. soybean farmers invest a portion of their sales in research and promotion to provide food, feed, fuel and fiber to the world. By building demand for such things as soy biodiesel, soybean meal, soybean oil, soy exports and more, USB and the soybean checkoff help provide profit opportunities for all U.S. soybean farmers.
On the Web:
Web site: http://www.unitedsoybean.org