Pediatric Plastic Surgery Institute Opens in Frisco, TX

New practice opens in North Texas to provide treatment for children of all ages with birth defects and congenital disorders.

Online PR News – 09-November-2012 – Frisco, TX – Pediatric Plastic Surgery Institute (PPSI) officially launched its practice in Frisco, TX. While the new center specializes in treating newborns with ear deformities and ear irregularities, it also provides a full complement of pediatric plastic surgery procedures. Located in the new Forest Park Medical Center Frisco, PPSI and its staff is able to care for their patients in a modern, state-of-the-art facility. Its location is just minutes from both DFW International and Dallas Love Field airports, making PPSI easily accessible to patients in North Texas and the entire Southwestern U.S.

At PPSI, parents of newborns with ear deformities or imperfections now have the option of pain-free correction with the EarWell (TM) corrective system. This treatment is completely nonsurgical. Instead, the physician places a custom fit plastic molding device on the ear to correct any misshaping. After 6-8 weeks, the EarWell (TM) is removed, and the treatment boasts a 90% success rate when applied in a timely fashion.

Common disorders successfully treated by the EarWell (TM) system include prominent ears, cupping, lop ears, concha crus, helical rim compression, Stahl's ear, lidding and Tanzer I constricted ears. This FDA-approved treatment marks a change in mentality regarding the treatment of newborn ear deformities. In the past, many pediatricians felt ear deformities would improve on their own without treatment. However, recent studies have shown this is only true in a small number of cases.

If left untreated, only an estimated 30% of the deformities will self-correct or improve, leaving the remaining 70% to remain the same or actually worsen, as the child grows older.

Also notable is that while ear deformities may seem like a minor issue to some, the social impact could be emotionally scarring to a child. The topic of bullying is an ever-increasing social dilemma, and these types of disorders can provide opportunities at which potential bullies can take aim.

Therefore, while a small percentage of newborns’ ears do improve on their own, a “wait and see” attitude could result in years of emotional and psychological pain. PPSI and the EarWell (TM) system provide a proactive approach so parents can be confident they are providing the best for their child.

PPSI is joint practice founded by pediatric plastic surgeons Dr. Steve Byrd, Dr. Matthew Trovato, Dr. Richard Ha, and Dr. A. Jay Burns. Combined, the surgeons have over 75 years of experience in plastic surgery and pediatric care.

About Pediatric Plastic Surgery Institute

Founded in 2012, Pediatric Plastic Surgery Institute provides a full range of pediatric plastic surgery and craniofacial services to help children live healthy, confident lives. It is located in the Forest Park Medical Center at 5680 Frisco Square Blvd, Suite 2200 Frisco, TX 75034. For more information, visit or call (877) 940-7774.

visit our website