Lumi Mobile has been honoured by ESOMAR, the world association for market, opinion and social research, for its pioneering work on advertising testing and tracking using mobile and emotional analytics.
Online PR News – 11-October-2012 – London/New York/Vaasa – 10 October 2012
London / New York / Vaasa
Lumi Mobile innovation celebrated with ESOMAR award
Lumi Mobile, the specialist in consumer insight mobile technology for market researchers, media companies and brands, has been honoured by ESOMAR, the world association for market, opinion and social research, for its pioneering work on advertising testing and tracking using mobile and emotional analytics.
The 2012 ESOMAR Congress in Atlanta awarded Best Methodological Paper for “Measuring Emotions Through a Mobile Device Across Borders, Ages, Genders and More" to Lumi co-founder Rolfe Swinton and Rana El Kaliouby, CTO and Co-Founder of Affectiva.
The award-winning paper detailed an iterative process to develop, test and validate the use of mobile as a powerful way to test ad recall and assess emotional impact through facial coding. It shared findings from testing a batter of TV ads in Brazil and other emerging markets, before testing six specific ads in the beverage sector in two cities in India – Hyderabad and Delhi.
The paper detailed how Lumi and Affectiva, working closely with Kantar's Millward Brown developed an entirely novel way to track consumer exposure to advertising as well as consumer emotional responses to advertising.
Affectiva, a Lumi partner, is the leading provider of emotional analytics technology. The total solution presented in the paper was a unique combination of both Affectiva and Lumi technologies.
Key learnings included:
• A minimum viable product approach works and enables brands to take an idea to market fast and cost-effectively
• Mobile allows brand research to play – embracing the opportunity for change, rather than just adapting existing methodologies to new research technology
• Using mobile to measure emotions with facial coding is unobtrusive, scalable and bypasses cognitive biases in responses
• It is possible to gain moment-by-moment analysis of scenes that elicited an emotional response, as well as producing ad-level insights into ad effectiveness and even determining campaign wear-out
• It is possible to combine multiple types of passive research technology including powerful mobile metering developed by RealityMine, a Lumi sister company, to provide even richer insights into consumer behaviour
• Mobile can generate more accurate results than traditional research methods proving that mobile is more than just a fad, it can help power better, more valuable research
Commenting on the award, Dan Foreman, Head of Business Development at Lumi Mobile, said:
“We are excited about the potential for the Lumi platform in behavioural market research. Merging both active and passive research tools with emotional measurement technology, we can help companies and brands to understand the context of consumers’ decision-making in relation to advertising. Measuring emotional impact is crucial for evaluating more fully the impact of marketing.”
Guy Rolfe, Kantar Mobile Head, added:
"This work demonstrates the incredible power of mobile to reach into the daily lives of people and understand exactly what it is they are feeling and not just saying and doing. This underlines Kantar's strong level of investment and development of mobile-related research methodology. This pioneering work undertaken by Millward Brown in conjunction with Lumi and Affectiva justly deserves this recognition as it paves the way for more innovation to come."
About Lumi Mobile www.lumimobile.com
Lumi Mobile is a market leader in real-time audience engagement mobile technology, based in London with offices in Finland and the United States. Lumi Mobile’s proprietary technology provides an unparalleled understanding of attitudes, opinion and behaviour to market researchers, media owners and brands. Key clients include Kantar, Ipsos, the Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, the Media Behavior Institute, Mediaset, SVT and eBay.
For further information, please contact:
Lumi Mobile Stephen Benzikie +44 (0)20 7861 3879
+44 (0)774 0038929