Blake Lapthorn, one of the leading law firms in the UK, is pleased to announce that its client has been awarded substantial compensation in a clinical negligence case against the Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust.

Online PR News – 26-February-2010 – – In January 2005, Mark Allison, a forty-year-old telephone engineer from Thornton Heath, Croydon, was admitted to the Mayday Hospital with a suspected Pulmonary Embolism (PE). He was treated as an inpatient initially and then as an outpatient, and was prescribed Warfarin for three months. One week after he had come off the drug, he went to the Trust with pain in his right calf, at which point an Ultrasound showed a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and he was advised to return for a further scan. This took place a week later and showed a continued DVT in the calf but as it had not extended to above his knee, the treating doctors decided not to restart him on anticoagulants and he was discharged.

By this point Mr Allison had returned to normal work on light duties and it was anticipated that he would shortly return to full duties. He was recently married. He was keen to progress his career and was undertaking a degree in business studies and was a valued employee. He did not drink or smoke and was a keen runner.

Eight days after the second appointment, Mr Allison became seriously ill at home and suffered a respiratory arrest. He was taken to hospital but attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead. The cause of death was a PE secondary to a DVT.

Mr Allison's wife, Audrey, instructed Blake Lapthorn to investigate the case. The firm obtained supportive medical expert evidence from two doctors who confirmed that Mark should have been treated as a high risk case and been given Warfarin when the blood clot was found in his calf, and that because he was not given that medication, he died.

Caron Heyes, the head of Blake Lapthorn's Clinical Negligence team in London, said: "The case was defended initially, until after we had begun Court proceedings. The Defendant then made a complete admission, which meant that they accepted that if Mark had been given Warfarin he would most likely not have died. Importantly for my client, they also provided her with an apology for their errors.

"We obtained an admission following service of our lay witness evidence and a request for further and better details of their Defence. The Defendant then argued over the value of the claim. Following a round table meeting in December 2009, some six weeks prior to trial, the case was settled for a six figure sum."