"Most people know that they need to change their Smoke detector's batteries twice a year. But very few people know that their smoke detectors expire! That's why we're urging everyone that lives in a home 10+ years ago to call us for free smoke detectors," says Kim Hancock.
Mike Counsil Electric, Inc. (MCE) is raising awareness in the community that 10-year old smoke detectors are expired. To do so, the company, is offering buy one and get one free smoke detectors to the first 50 homeowners in there service area to contact them, beginning (5-3-2012).
"Most people know that they need to change their Smoke detector’s batteries twice a year. But very few people know that their smoke detectors expire! That's why we're urging everyone that lives in a home 10+ years ago to call us for free smoke detectors," Kim Hancock, President of Mike Counsil Electric, Inc. said. "If one live is saved, our investment of time and money will be well worth it."
The US Fire Administration, Federal emergency Management agency, National fire protection Association, and consumer Product Safety Commission all agree: If a smoke detector is 10 years of age or older, cannot be counted on to alert a homeowner of a fire. According to a study conducted by the Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center, after 10 years, smoke detectors have a 30% chance of Failure. That percentage gets larger after every passing year.
"Few people consider their smoke detectors. The only time they pay any attention to them is when they begin chirping because they need new batteries," Hancock continued. "More than 3,000 people die from fires every year, and thousands more are injured. Sometimes it's because they don't have smoke detectors, but in most cases, people don't have smoke detectors that work."
It's not enough to just have one smoke detector. The National Fire protection association and the U.S. Fire Administration recommend one in every level of a home, inside every bedroom, and outside all sleeping areas.
Mike Counsil Electric, Inc. also is offering free electrical offering free electrical safety inspection to homeowners. Electrical problems are among the most common reasons fire start. A certified MCE electrician will evaluate homeowners' panels, wiring, outlets, and all other electrical components in hopes of finding and stopping any malfunctions from occurring at a late date.
Homeowners interested in the two for one smoke detectors and the electrical safety inspections are encouraged to call Mike Counsil Electric, Inc. at 408-268-5015 for more information. Visit mikecounsilelectric.com for additional info on smoke detectors on the potential dangers of expired smoke detectors.