Top NJ Web Agency Warns Consumers of Internet Fraud
Online PR News – 01-March-2012 – – Hudson Horizons releases a list of cautionary tips advising and warning consumers of current dangers and scams on the Internet. The Internet has seen an influx in hackers and digital criminals. Due to the lack of security, protection and defense against Internet criminals – Hudson Horizons created this list as a measure for prevention and to promote safety on the Web.
Internet scammers have the ability to use technology to mask and develop Trojan horse programs and malware that appear to be harmless but work to steal information and harm computers. Many sites can also be easily designed to appear secure so it is important to always be cautious.
Remember these tips when online:
- Always enable the pop up blocker on browsers, this prevents spam ads and helps protect information stored on computers from viruses on the Net.
- Review a site prior to filling any forms, especially if it is important information that can potentially lead to identity theft.
- Don’t be fooled by badges and seals claiming 100 percent security, at the end of the day it is impossible to know who is on the other side of that computer screen. Read the fine print and be wary of any peculiarities on the site.
- A common rip off scam that many consumers find themselves bamboozled by is through fake sweepstakes and contests. Unless specifically entering a sweepstakes or a contest, this is most likely fraudulent.
- Never wire money or share bank information because of an email. Many spammers distribute emails promising to double an initial investment, claiming to need help or offering services.
- Always label spam mail that sneaks into a regular inbox as spam to prevent it from happening in the future.
- Be extremely protective and cautious of privacy, especially on social media sites like Facebook; be cautious about what information is available to the public as well as what and how sharing is set.
“In so many instances, scammers try to capitalize on trending topics. After the death of Whitney Houston, scammers rushed to social networking sites, like Facebook, attempting to take advantage of Internet users grieving the death of the musical legend. The more popular a topic is the more clicks the scammers are likely to receive so being cautious about what you’re clicking on is always a good idea,” explained Rania Eldekki, Social Media Manager at Hudson Horizons.
Hudson Horizons is an integrated Web agency sharing valuable information to not only protect their clients but any consumer on the Internet.
About Hudson Horizons
Founded in 2003, Hudson Horizons is a NJ-based Website Design, Development and Internet Marketing Agency specializing in Web 2.0 development, SEO practices and social media. The agency continues to develop innovative products and services in order to give clients comprehensive solutions for bettering business online. Hudson Horizons assists businesses of all sizes in developing enhanced brand awareness through highly sophisticated, customized websites and Internet Marketing campaigns. For more information, visit them at www.hudsonhorizons.com.