Dr. Wei-Shin Lai, MD, inventor of insomnia solution SleepPhones, offers five health benefits of sleep that may not be common knowledge.
Online PR News – 27-February-2012 – – March 5-13 is the National Sleep Foundation’s Sleep Awareness Week. Dr. Wei-Shin Lai, MD, says such events are helpful in raising some much-needed awareness about the necessity of a good nights sleep. “More than 20% of Americans suffer from chronic sleep loss or untreated sleep disorders like Insomnia,” Dr. Lai said.
Dr. Lai is a family doctor and founder/CEO of AcousticSheep LLC, the makers of SleepPhones®, a product that she invented. SleepPhones® combine a soft comfortable headband with thin speakers to enable users to fall asleep to music or other soothing sounds. As a medical expert, Dr. Lai knows the health value of a good night of peaceful slumber, including some sleep health facts that may be surprising. She offered the following five surprising sleep health facts to keep in mind during Sleep Awareness week:
- “The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving causes 100,000 crashes each year with over 1,500 deaths and 70,000 injuries.”
- “A recent study found that not sleeping for 24 hours is equivalent to a blood alcohol level of .10, beyond the legal limit for alcohol intoxication.”
- “Need to lose weight? Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Poor sleep can cause weight gain.”
- “Lack of sleep may contribute to attention deficit disorder, especially among children.”
- “Relaxing music can help those who can’t sleep in hot weather.”
To find more sleep facts and more information about SleepPhones®’ drug-free insomnia solution, please go to http://www.sleepphones.com.
About AcousticSheep, LLC
AcousticSheep, LLC designs and distributes innovative headphones for a variety of lifestyles. Formed in 2007 by a family doctor and her husband, AcousticSheep products are designed with comfort, quality, and the environment in mind. Headquartered in Pennsylvania, the company is powered by 100 percent wind energy. Visit SleepPhones.com for additional information. Connect with us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@SleepPhones).
Images and more information for media can be found at: http://sleepphones.com/media.