artnet Auctions is proud to present a special sale of Modern and Contemporary Indian and South Asian paintings, works on paper, photographs.
Online PR News – 24-February-2012 – – PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release
February 22, 2012
Contact: Heather Russell +1-212-497-9700 ext. 692 HRussell@artnet.com
artnet Auctions presents the Modern and Contemporary Indian and South Asian Art sale
artnet Auctions is proud to present a special sale of Modern and Contemporary Indian and South Asian paintings, works on paper, photographs, sculptures, and prints, led by the masterpiece, Untitled (Pieta) (1987), a major painting by Francis Newton Souza (Indian, 1924–2002). Featuring over 75 lots, this sale’s focus is Contemporary Indian and South Asian Art, estimated from US$1,800 to US$500,000.
Francis Newton Souza
Untitled (Pieta), 1987
Acrylic on canvas
82 x 97.3 in.
Image ©Estate of F.N. Souza/DACS. Photograph ©Andew Barklem, 2002
New York / Berlin / Paris, February 22, 2012—artnet Auctions presents the Indian and South Asian Art sale, featuring over 75 select lots of Modern and Contemporary Indian and Pakistani Art by emerging as well as established artists. One of the highlights is Souza’s highly important painting, Untitled (Pieta), offered directly from the estate of the artist’s family, and estimated from US$350,000 to US$500,000. Notable Postmodern paintings in the sale include an early and rare oil painting by Sadequain (Pakistani, 1937–1987), Untitled (Skeleton), estimated from US$35,000 to US$50,000, and a stunning Untitled (Portrait of a Man) by Akbar Padamsee (Indian, b.1928), estimated at US$65,000–75,000. Contemporary Indian and South Asian paintings are led by a major oil painting, Peace Protest, from 2004 by T.V. Santhosh (Indian, b.1968), estimated at US$85,000–95,000. Other important paintings include Covering Letter #5 by this year’s short-listed SKODA Indian Art prize nominee, Jitish Kallat (Indian, b.1974), with an estimate of US$50,000–60,000, as well as an exciting oil on canvas triptych by Baiju Parthan (Indian, b.1956), Soft Grafitti (Spotlight), estimated at US$30,000–40,000. Also featured in the sale are Chittrovanu Mazumdar (Indian, b.1956), Riyas Komu (Indian, b.1971), Chintan Upadhyay (Indian, b.1972), Jamil Naqsh (Pakistani, b.1978), G.R. Iranna (Indian, b.1970), and rising Indian female art star Chila Kumari Burman.
Head 4, 2004
Polyester, fiberglass, and resin
18 x 20 x 12 in.
Image ©Ravinder Reddy, 2011
Other media are also offered in the sale:
• Sculptures, including an exciting and rare red-colored, unique Head 4 (2004), by Ravinder Reddy (Indian, b.1956), estimated from US$150,000 to US$175,000, as well as a unique two-part, dramatic bronze wall sculpture by Anita Dube estimated at US$35,000–50,000. An important sculpture by Debanjan Roy, India Shining VI (Gandhi Walking with Dog), is also offered, estimated at $US20,000–25,000.
• Original works on paper and prints by Souza, Maqbool Fida Husain (Indian 1915–2011), Sayed Haider Raza (Indian b.1922), Thota Vaikuntam (Indian, b.1942), Jogen Chowdhury (Indian, b.1939), and rare gold-ink etchings by Zarina Hashmi (Indian, b.1937). These esteemed works join those of important Contemporary artists: Anish Kapoor, Jagannath Panda, Chitra Ganesh, Francesca Souza, Keren Souza Kohn, as well as exciting original works by a new generation of artists making waves on the international art scene, such as Amjad Ali Talpur, Waseem Ahmed, Muhammad Zeeshan.
• A strong selection of photography and video art, led by a major photograph Rashid Rana (Pakistani, b.1968), as well as an editioned video artwork by esteemed Indian art collective, Raqs Media Collective. Stunning black-and-white photographs from Akbar Padamsee’s famous Nude Study series are noteworthy lots, as are the ultra-vivid color photographs by, Vivek Vilasini, Atul Bhalla, Sunil Gupta, and others that round out this exciting sale.
The Indian and South Asian Art sale is live on artnet Auctions February 22–February 29, 2012.
View all lots at http://www.artnet.com/auctions/indian-south-asian-art-sale.
• To register to bid on artnet Auctions, go to https://www.artnet.com/auctions/register-to-bid.
• For more information, please contact Heather S. Russell, senior specialist at +1-212-497-9700 ext. 692 or at HRussell@artnet.com.
About artnet Auctions:
With 24/7 worldwide bidding, artnet Auctions is the world’s first and only online auction platform to buy and sell Modern and Contemporary paintings, prints, photographs, sculptures, and more. artnet has been online since 1995 and is host to approximately 2 million visitors each month. Through the artnet Price Database of all auction sales results and artnet Galleries of all premier art galleries worldwide, artnet is the leading online resource for the international art market.
www.artnet.com | www.artnet.de | www.artnet.fr
Artnet Worldwide Corporation, 61 Broadway, 23rd Floor, New York, NY 10006-2701, USA