Locations throughout lower Fairfield County, Connecticut will soon be setting a precedent by featuring HUMAN Healthy Vending machines on their premises. HUMAN H
Online PR News – 12-December-2011 – Stamford, Connecticut – Local schools, gyms and community centers in lower Fairfield County, Connecticut will soon be setting a precedent by featuring high-tech and eco-friendly vending machines that only vend healthful foods on their premises. Local social entrepreneurs – Michael and Bing Schwaller – have partnered with HUMAN Healthy Vending to ensure that residents in their community have convenient access to foods and drinks that meet a high caliber of nutrition standards, including the standards delineated for schools by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. HUMAN machines are currently operational at The Boys and Girls Club of Stamford, The Darien YMCA, The New Canaan YMCA, The Yerwood Center, and C3 Athletics. HUMAN machines will be operational at the Stamford Jewish Community Center and New Canaan High School by the end of this year.
Unlike antiquated vending machines that have long been complicit in encouraging unhealthful eating habits, HUMAN’s vending machines are the first full-service vending solution offering healthful snacks, drinks and entire meals along with health education streamed digitally via HD LCD screens attached to the machines. The LCD screens can educate consumers on the products in the machine as well as give general nutrition advice, such as how to read a nutrition label.
The Schwallers are passionate about making the more healthful choice the easy and popular choice. “HUMAN Healthy Vending takes the unique approach of trying to educate the consumer while selling healthier snacks and beverages. After years of repetitive branding, many people find themselves gravitating toward products based on the advertising and packaging instead of carefully checking what they’re actually consuming. The added educational component of HUMAN’s machines really provides value to the consumer by starting a dialogue on what it means to eat nutritious foods,” said Bing.
While HUMAN and its operators work tirelessly to bring healthful food to locations across the world, they realize that proper nutrition is just part of the solution to the complex problem that is the obesity epidemic. So, you will often find HUMAN operators hosting sampling events in conjunction with mission-aligned organizations that inspire and teach physical activity. These events and partnerships create a well-rounded and synergistic approach to health-related outreach.
Those interested in attending a sampling event or in seeing a HUMAN machine in operation may contact Annabel at the information listed above.
Those interested in bringing healthy vending to their location at no cost, may visit http://www.healthyvending.com
Why is “healthful-food-vending” so important?
• 10.4% of high school students in Connecticut are obese (via “F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2011,” a report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
• 59.8% of adults in Connecticut are considered overweight or obese (via “F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2011,” a report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
• More than 23 million Americans, including 6.5 million children, live in low-income urban and rural neighborhoods that are more than one mile from the nearest supermarket (via Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” website)
• 86% of US workers are overweight, obese or suffering from a chronic health condition (Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, 2011)
• Childhood obesity rates have tripled since 1980 (via “F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2011,” a report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
• One third of all children born in 2000 or later will suffer from diabetes at some point in their lives. Many others will face chronic obesity-related health problems like heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, and asthma (via Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” website)
About HUMAN Healthy Vending
It is the goal of HUMAN (Helping Unite Mankind and Nutrition) to make universal access to healthy food and health education a reality. HUMAN distributes hi-tech and eco-friendly vending machines that sell 100% healthy foods and drinks. In addition to providing healthy food options, the machines provide health education via high-definition LCD screens that display streaming videos and other content. By making healthy products and healthy-living information accessible in schools, hospitals, gyms, community centers and additional public spaces, HUMAN empowers people to make healthy choices.
HUMAN is proud to donate 10% of its proceeds to charitable causes that fight childhood obesity and malnutrition.