Significant cost savings, uniqueness of premium materials, customization, speed of delivery and ease of reordering are five great reasons to make wedding invitations yourself.
Online PR News – 23-January-2010 – – Chic, smart brides want to spend wisely for their upcoming weddings … they might have an eye on their budget, but do not want to scale back on style or quality. A good place to start is with the wedding invitations, where do-it-yourself is becoming increasingly popular, Cool-invitation-ideas.com, a leading source for wedding invitation ideas, gives us their five great reasons to go DIY:
1. DIY invitation kits that offer high quality papers and embellishments run $1-$2 each, which is a significant cost savings over typical, flat party invitations found everywhere for $3-5 apiece, or high-end letterpress and engraved specialty shop invitations which can run $5-10 and up.
2. Since only the overlay of a layered invitation must be printer friendly, use unique background cards such as handmade papers embedded with petals and leaves, shimmering metallics, gorgeous vintage patterns and modern full color flowers. Adorned with posh embellishments such as metal charms, skeleton leaves, crystal brads, jacquard and lace wraps, fine paper sashes or miniature silk flowers, these invites will certainly stand out from boring flat cards.
3. Individual invitations are easy to customize when printing yourself using different wording for alternate languages, adding rehearsal dinner and out of town guests information, a feature that is often cost-prohibitive with custom printed invitations.
4. Fast order and delivery turnaround assures blank supplies can be shipped right away, meaning no waiting for proofs and printing and no unwanted surprises with misprints.
5. Ease of reordering means that if you run out, you can quickly order and print them. Reprinting custom printed or engraved invitations is very expensive after initial ordering.
What to look for (and avoid)
Do-it-yourself wedding invitations are a smart, budget-friendly choice. However, for a bride who is not the scrapbooking or crafty type, an art project is the last thing on her mind with everything else to do; choosing a quality kit that is easy to use is extremely important. Avoid cheap, flimsy papers in odd sizes, which are frustrating to setup and print correctly.
Layered wedding invitations offer a great way to have it all, using a printable overlay and a separate heavyweight background card, you can create an invitation with a luxurious substantial feel. Finish with a keepsake embellishment to add dimension and uniqueness.
The best choices for background cards are heavyweight, with at least 80# cover weight -- offered in a variety of metallics, rich solids, new brights, vintage and modern patterns plus earth-friendly handmade petal papers.
Use overlays that are easy to create and print on standard sized sheets, made for ink jets and laser printers. Avoid small sheets, requiring a more complicated setup and printer feed. No perforated edges!
Envelopes should ideally be made from a 80# stock (most typical envelopes are #70). Add liners for a touch of luxury.
Smart brides have discovered a great online source for exclusive high quality wedding invitations at http://www.formal-invitations.com. They offer over 50 heavyweight background cards in the latest colors and patterns, plus metallics, tree-free petal papers and silk-embedded cotton papers. All are precut and sized to fit in their quality 80# envelopes, made from 100% post consumer fibers.
Overlays are offered in translucent vellum or opaque 65# white, made for ink jet and laser printers/copiers. The standard sized 8.5x11 sheets are easy to work with; just modify the free templates, print, and cut. Online instructional videos and paper guides are included to help even the most craft-challenged bride.
Select from Formal-Invitations.com’s 200+ kits, starting from 58¢ per invitation and including the heavyweight background card, printer-friendly overlay, embellishment and envelope -- or mix and match to create your own personal, unique design. Their extensive line of over 50 heavyweight background cards and 300 keepsake embellishments include exquisite paper sashes from around the world, luxurious jacquard embroidered wraps, grosgrain belts with buckles, beautiful metal charms, sparkling jewel brads in 16 gemstone colors, embossed flower petal brads, skeleton leaves, miniature silk flowers plus satin and sheer ribbons. Using these embellishments, the modern bride can create the gorgeous personalized invitation of her budget-minded dreams.