A study by U.S. News & World Report naming the Top 50 pediatric cancer centers has been released, with Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center listed as one of the Best Children's Hospitals in the nation.
Online PR News – 11-October-2011 – – For the fifth consecutive year, Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York has been listed as one of the Best Children's Hospitals in the nation in a recent release by U.S. News & World Report. The study, focusing on several divisions of pediatric medicine, ranked the children's medical center - a division of North Shore-LIJ Health System - at #40 for pediatric hematology and oncology (cancer treatment). Additionally, Cohen Children's Medical Center was ranked #30 for Pediatric Diabetes & Endocrinology, #12 for Pediatric Urology and #29 for Pediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery.
The results are based on a five-year survival study that looked into transplant accreditation and overall infection prevention during treatment and care. A number of other factors made up for 75% of the scoring criteria in choosing the pediatric medical centers. The other 25% of the data came from pediatric hematology and oncology specialists surveyed over the last three years (2009-2011).
The awards come at a time of growth and celebration for the hospital system as this is not the first time Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center has been recognized for its excellence. In July, the 880 bed medical center was recognized for their commitment to pediatrics, and was designated as a life support center of excellence, receiving the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization's (ELSO) Excellence in Life Support.
“Our designation as an ELSO Center of Excellence is a testament to Cohen Children's Medical Center’s commitment to exceptional patient and critical care, and the hard work of our staff,” said Peter Silver, MD, chief of the Division of Pediatric Critical Care at Cohen Children's Medical Center. “Using specialized equipment, our staff established patient protocols and received advanced training and education in extracorporeal life support. Their expertise distinguishes our team among the local and international healthcare communities, and provides life-saving options to infants struggling to survive.”
U.S. News clearly recognizes the devotion of the hospital staff to excellent care, but the awards and Top 50 rank aren't the only things to be cause for celebration. Earlier this year, the Pediatric Oncology Program at Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center in tandem with the Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders were treated a 14 year old patient for sickle cell anemia, effectively curing her of the disease. This marked the first time a patient in the Long Island area received a successful bone marrow transplant from a donor who was not a blood relative. The children's medical center is the only system in Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk offering bone marrow transplantation.
2011 is a benchmark year of growth for Cohen Children's Medical Center and the North Shore-LIJ Health System. Being only one of two pediatric trauma centers in the New York area, and the completion of the new emergency and surgical pavilion on the horizon, the residents of Long Island and surrounding communities in the region will continue to have access to a wide range of world-class specialized pediatric services for years to come.
About the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York:
For the fifth consecutive year, US News & World Report has ranked the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York as among the nation’s best children’s hospitals. Cohen Children’s Medical Center, under the parent umbrella of North Shore-LIJ Health System, is the preeminent children’s hospital on Long Island and is the largest provider of pediatric services in the state of New York, including pediatric hematology and oncology. Established nearly 30 years ago, the pediatric hospital has evolved continually to keep pace with a growing population. The vision of Cohen Children's Medical Center is to become a national leader, recognized for providing outstanding family-centered, quality-focused and academically-based care while conducting research committed to finding cures and innovative treatments for childhood diseases.
About North Shore-LIJ Health System Foundation:
The North Shore-LIJ Health System Foundation’s mission is to serve the best interest of the community at-large and the Health System. North Shore-LIJ works to attain that goal by providing the inspiration, opportunity and meaningful direction for donors, patients and leaders to link their vision, dreams and philanthropic support with our most worthy causes - from the under-served and uninsured to the latest frontiers in medical technology and research.