Guide from eLearners.com helps prospective students spot fake schools
Online PR News – 29-June-2011 – – Hoboken, New Jersey – To help prospective students identify illegitimate online colleges and universities, eLearners.com today revealed 10 signs an online school is a diploma mill.
The list is from eLearners.com’s Guide to Diploma Mills, part of its “Guide to Online Education” series. The guide offers information to educate those considering online college degrees so that they are able to protect themselves and spot fraudulent institutions.
Ways to tell if a school is a diploma mill include:
1. They often have names similar to well-known colleges or universities, but fail to mention an accrediting agency or name a fake accrediting agency.
2. The organization frequently changes addresses, sometimes moving from state to state.
3. Written materials typically include numerous spelling and grammatical errors, sometimes on the diploma itself.
4. Overemphasis on the speed and brevity with which someone can receive a degree (e.g. "Call now and have your degree shipped to you overnight!").
5. Degrees can be earned in far less time than normal (e.g. 27 days) or the diploma is printed with a specific backdate.
6. There is no selectivity in admissions, or any questions about previous test scores or detailed academic history.
7. No interaction with professors or faculty (e.g. only two emails are received from a professor).
8. Degree requirements are vague or unspecified, lacking class descriptions and without any mention of how many credit hours are required to complete a program.
9. Tuition and fees are typically on a per-degree basis.
10. Grade point average (GPA) and academic honors (e.g. Summa Cum Laude) can be specified at the time of purchase.
The complete Guide to Diploma Mills is available at http://www.elearners.com/guide/online-colleges-universities-and-schools/diploma-mills/.
Prospective students interested in learning more about online education, including online college degrees and online certificate programs, should visit www.eLearners.com.
Since 1999, eLearners.com has been successfully connecting prospective students interested in online degree, certification and training programs with a wide selection of accredited schools online. eLearners.com offers a powerful search engine that indexes thousands of program offerings online, as well as a variety of educational evaluation tools and financial aid resources. eLearners.com offers schools seeking prospective students a low-cost, performance-based method to gain national exposure and increase enrollments in their programs.
Communications Strategy Group