KEY WEST HOTEL SILVER PALMS INN RECEIVES FLORIDA GREEN LODGING PROGRAM DESIGNATION.
Online PR News – 18-May-2011 – – Key West, Florida – The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) welcomes the Silver Palms Inn to the Florida Green Lodging Program. The voluntary state initiative provides the lodging industry with free technical assistance, encouraging hotels and motels to adopt cost-saving “green” practices that reduce waste and conserve natural resources.
“It is wonderful to see businesses implement green practices such as water conservation, recycling and energy reduction because they are not only good for business, they are good for Florida’s environment,” said DEP Sustainable Initiatives Director Deas Bohn.
To become a designated member of the Florida Green Lodging Program, hotels must implement a variety of green practices. These practices include, but are not limited to, water conservation measures through low flow plumbing fixtures, a linen reuse program, and energy efficiency achieved by installing ENERGY STAR® appliances and programmable thermostats. The waste reduction criteria are met by providing the opportunity to recycle, purchasing items in bulk, purchasing recycled materials and by recycling ink and toner cartridges. All designated properties must also use green cleaners and high efficiency air filters.
Silver Palms Inn, a new Key West hotel opened its doors in October 2010 and Tejas Soni, General Manager is honored to be a member of the Florida Green Lodging Program. “We have been committed to providing excellence in service to our customers and to our environment since the very beginning. Building a hotel with a green initiative was one of our main goals and our guests can be proud that they are partners in our Environmentally friendly initiative,” said Soni. “We have used smart innovative vendors that provide the highest quality green products and services.” Because the environment is important to us we are pleased to share with you some of our Green Initiatives:
ROOM ENERGY CONSERVATION
• In-room thermostats and lights are connected to a card system that recognizes whether a room key is in the slot. If the room key is in the slot the A/C comes on as well as the lights in the room. When the guest leaves the room and pulls their room key out of the slot the A/C goes into a setback mode and the lights turn off.
• Energy Star commercial HVAC.
• LCD Televisions that are 43% more energy efficient than Energy Star 4.0 Standards.
PROPERTY ENERGY CONSERVATION
• Energy efficient lighting system throughout the entire property. Our lighting includes low wattage bulbs, led rope lighting as well as fiber optic lighting.
• Solar water heating system supplemented by propane instant heaters.
• Reduced water consumption in-room showerheads
• Reduced water consumption in-room toilets
• Reclaimed Water for use within the toilets around the whole property
• Reclaimed Water for use in the irrigation system around the whole property
• Onsite laundry facility for operations uses commercial grade equipment designed especially for water flow.
Launched in March 2004, the Florida Green Lodging Program establishes environmental guidelines for hotels and motels to conserve natural resources and prevent pollution. In 2007 Governor Crist signed three executive orders initiating state energy-use policies, including one that requires state agencies and departments to hold meetings and conferences only at hotels with the Florida Green Lodging Program designation as of January 1, 2008, whenever possible. For more information about the Florida Green Lodging Program, visit www.dep.state.fl.us/greenlodging.
2 Night Special:
Book two nights and save! Book two nights in a Double Queen Pool View, King Jr. Suite, Queen Jr. Suite or the King Penthouse and save 20% on your stay. This special is valid Sunday through Thursday now through August 31, 2011, minimum two night stay, excluding special events and holidays. Based on availability. This special is not valid with any other special or discount. Book online or call 800.294.8783.
3 Night Special
Book three nights and save! Book a three night stay in a Double Queen Guest Room and save 30% on your stay. This special is valid Sunday through Thursday now through August 31, 2011, minimum two night stay, excluding special events and holidays. Based on availability. This special is not valid with any other special or discount. Book online or call 800.294.8783.
For more information about Silver Palms Inn, Key West, Florida please visit www.silverpalmsinn.com or call 800-294-8783.