The European Union published an updated version of it Candle Sooting Behavior standard - EN 15426 - in November 2018.
Online PR News – 15-February-2019 – Geneva, Switzerland – The European Union (EU) standard for sooting behavior in candles - EN 15426 - was updated in November 2018. Superseding EN 15426:2007, EN 15426:2018 provides greater clarity regarding the test method and relevant equipment.
EN 15426 relates to candles that will be burned indoors. It refers to single wick candles with a diameter up to 100 mm, or those with an equivalent cross-sectional area.
Updates in the 2018 version include:
• Improved terms and definitions for:
o Candle - now includes "the main function of sustaining a light-producing flame, including any coatings on and articles or substances in the fuel"
o Tea light - removal of "may be suitable for keeping vessels containing coffee, tea or other liquids warm, by using a warming stove"
• Simplification of the requirement for sooting behavior
• Clearer description of test equipment and apparatus - includes a description of the calibration disk (previously missing)
• Clearer description of the test method - includes improved illustration for setting up the equipment and new illustrated guidance for selecting the wire mesh cylinder
• Modified characteristics of the candles for selecting the soot test cycles. The 2018 version defines the type of candle as:
o Mass below 25 g
o Container candles less than 25 g
o Mass above 25 g and a diameter less than 70 mm
o Container candles above 25 g and a diameter less than 70 mm
o Mass above 25 g and a diameter equal or over 70 mm
• New version also includes Annex B to help calculate hourly fuel consumption
Published in November 2018, all national standards that conflict with EN 15426:2018 must be withdrawn by May 10, 2019.
SGS Consumer Product Services
SGS provides news about the development of regulations affecting consumer products as a complimentary service. With a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Learn more about SGS's Consumer Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail]
For further information contact:
Technical Services Manager
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.