In November 2018, SGS will present, in combination with NATRUE's Director General, Dr. Mark Smith, a seminar on NATRUE certification at Cosmoprof Asia 2018.
Online PR News – 20-October-2018 – Geneva, Switzerland – On November 15, 2018, SGS Global Technical Manager, Hubert Brundu, and NATRUE's Director General, Dr. Mark Smith, will present "NATRUE LABEL: a high standard helping customers in the growing market for organic cosmetic" to delegates at Asia's largest cosmetics expo - Cosmoprof Asia.
The seminar will provide interested parties with an overview of NATRUE certification and SGS's comprehensive range of services for the cosmetics industry. It takes place at 2.00pm, as part of the Natural and Organic Symposium in the Cosmoforum (Hall 3G, Level 3, in the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Center). In addition, SGS experts will be available throughout the expo in Hall 1E of the Hong Kong Conference and Exhibition Center.
Developed by NATRUE, a global non-profit association based in Belgium, NATRUE certification helps natural and organic cosmetic companies distinguish themselves in the marketplace. It also gives consumers confidence that they are buying products that conform to their demands for natural and organic cosmetics. Currently there is no clear consensus about what constitutes natural and/or organic on the label of a cosmetic product, with some products containing only a minimal amount of qualifying ingredients.
NATRUE certification assures consumers, wherever they are in the world, that a cosmetic product has undergone effective and thorough assessment of its natural and/or organic status. Certification is only granted to product ranges and, to display the NATRUE logo, at least 75% of individual products in a range must pass the assessment. Practically, therefore, if a consumer sees the NATRUE logo on a cosmetics range, they can be certain the claim is not based on one product from within a series.
NATRUE certification classifies thirteen categories of cosmetic product. Certification can only be achieved if the product complies with clearly defined minimum amounts of natural ingredients and maximum levels of derived-natural components. Assessment uses the following 'natural' ingredient types:
• Natural ingredients - unmodified, obtainable only by physical processes or fermentation
• Derived natural ingredients - may result from permitted biotechnological processes or chemical reactions on exclusively natural ingredients, e.g. hydrolysis, saponification, neutralization or esterification
• Natural-identical ingredients - ingredients created in the laboratory to replicate natural ingredients; restricted to ingredients like preservatives and pigments
• Listed in Annex 2 of the NATRUE criteria
Water is not included in any of these categories as its inclusion would artificially skew the results.
Once a product has been assessed against the NATRUE standard's criteria, it may then be granted one of the following grades:
• Natural cosmetics - the foundation standard. Defines permitted ingredients and how they should be processed. Each product type has a guaranteed threshold for natural ingredients and a cut-off level for derived natural substances. Certified products may also contain organic ingredients
• Natural cosmetics with an organic portion - meets above standard with a minimum of 70% of ingredients originating from controlled organic production and/or controlled wild collection. All product types must have higher levels of wholly natural ingredients and correspondingly lower levels of derived natural ingredients
• Organic cosmetics - meet both above standards with at least 95% of ingredients originating from controlled organic production and/or controlled wild collection. Compared to the second level, this level requires higher levels of natural ingredients and lower levels of derived natural ingredients
Assessment against the NATRUE standard involves a two-phase process:
1. Document verification - validating a product's formulation is compliant with the relevant criteria based on documentation from the applicant. Required documents include:
o Product and brand name
o Information about the production site
o Quantitative formulation
o Raw material documentation including proof of origin, production process, confirmation of no irradiation and non-GMO
o Envisaged export countries
2. Production audit - the verifier audits the production site. Must be completed within six months of the finalized document check and will include verification of the certified products' compliance and the complete traceability of all raw materials. Additional products within the brand may be certified within one year of the audit date and certification lasts for two years.
With many consumers believing natural and organic cosmetic products are better for both themselves and the environment, now is the ideal time of industry leaders to consider NATRUE certification. In addition to distinguishing truly natural and organic products in the competitive marketplace, it also provides consumers with the confidence that they are buying the products they want. NATRUE certification is the best way to ensure truly natural and organic products are recognizable in the marketplace.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS's Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services. (www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/cosmetics-personal-care-and-household/cosmetics-and-personal-care/testing)
For more information, please contact:
Business Development Manager - New Projects
Cosmetics, Personal Care & Household Germany/Austria &
Life Science Services Germany
Tel: +49 (0)172 2745950
i. V. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Bettina KÃ¶nig
Auditor for NATRUE, Cosmetics, Personal Care & Household Germany/Austria
Tel: +43 5332 77203-0
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.