We are in the business of getting you VISIBILITY. Throughout the month of June, we’ll be highlighting some publicity tips that you can execute in under 10 minutes. Some of these surprisingly simple ideas can make a big difference in getting you and your business noticed!
Apply a Search Filter on LinkedIn To Find Journalists in Your Niche
ETA: 7-10 min
The advanced search feature on LinkedIn is a great way to find writers, reports, journalists and bloggers in specific niches and industries. With just a few clicks, you’ll uncover important people to begin building relationships with. Here’s how:
1. After logging into LinkedIn, click ‘Advanced‘ next to the search box in the upper right-hand corner.
2. Double check that you’re on the ‘Advanced People Search’ tab.
3. In the ‘title’ field, enter terms like “reporter,” “journalist,” “blogger” or “writer.” (This searches the occupation field.)
4. Choose ‘current’ under the title. (This ensures that you are searching for people that are currently reporters, journalists or bloggers, rather than someone who has held this position in the past.)
5. If you are looking for people in a certain geographical area, enter a postal code and select a mileage radius. Otherwise, select ‘anywhere’ for the location.
6. If you are looking for people that write or report only in certain industries, select one or more industries from the ‘industries’ checkboxes.
7. Try multiple searches trying different combinations of words and options.
Targeting Your List
Now that you’ve created a list of journalists and bloggers from LinkedIn, it’s time to pitch them! The key is learning the types of stories they typically write or cover and then tailoring your pitch to match their audience’s needs. Do your homework first and THEN reach out. It will pay off in the long run!
Looking for more tips like these, plus template letters, strategies and more? Our new eBook, Publicity Marketing, is full of information and techniques for landing free publicity. Buy your copy of Publicity Marketing for $4.99 today and be entered to win a $79 press release distribution on July 1st.
Have you used any social media sites to connect with journalists or bloggers? How did it work out? Share your stories and successes with us in the comments section. We love hearing about them!